I am delighted to inform you that, following the government relaxation of the COVID-19 lock down, BLYM will now be open for members only sailing following the RYA COVID-19 recommendations.
If you are a BLYM member and you would like to come sailing on Saturday, you can now do so with the restrictions listed in this message. Please read the 'Details Arrangements' carefully.
We are grateful to all our members for their patience during the period of closure, and for making sure that new operational arrangements are supported so we can begin to enjoy once again our wonderful club. I would like to say Thank You for your continued support. It means that BLYM will still be here when the virus has been overcome.
We have been working closely with the RYA and other sailing clubs to develop ways in which activities on the water can resume safely, and we will be grateful for your cooperation.
We can’t wait to see you back on the water!
With best regards,
David Ridout, Chairman
Booking a boat
There will be 8 places available for sailing mornings (9:30 - 12:30) and in the afternoons (13:00 - 16:00). Places can be pre-booked on line at the cost of £5 per person at https://blym.org.uk/courses/events/blym-fleet-general-sailing. Bookings will open on Wednesdays for the following Saturday. Payments will be collected at the time of booking.
Keeping safe at BLYM
- If you have not pre-booked a morning or afternoon place please do not turn up, as you will not be allowed to sail.
- We are restricted to 8 BLYM members per session.
- You must have at least your Junior Stage Level 3 or Adult Level 2 RYA qualifications and be confident at sailing.
- Members of the same family may sail in the same boat, according to the boat capacity. Others must sail single-handed only.
- You must be able to rig, launch and retrieve your own boat.
- On arrival there will be a temporary reception outside the old boat house for you to sign in.
- Please observe the signage and follow the instructions of the Warden.
- Toilets accessible from outside the wet zone will be available and will be cleaned at the end of each day. Hand sanitiser will be provided.
- Please arrive changed and ready to go on the water. We will provide storage for your sailing bag.
- You should bring your own water bottle or refreshments as the galley is closed.
- Please bring your own buoyancy aid if you have one. BLYM buoyancy aids will be made available.
- In windy weather conditions, the warden may restrict the types of boats available. The Warden may also ask you to reef, or attach a mast head flotation. Please understand that we have to minimise the risk of a rescue being required.
- Should the weather not be appropriate for your sailing experience, BLYM will have the right to reallocate you to another session on another day.
- Safety cover teams will be wearing gloves and a mask and if you need rescuing or medical assistance you may be asked to put on a mask.
- Only one launch or retrieval is permitted on the slipway at any one time.
- Boats must be tied up 2 meters apart on the jetty.
- After your sail you will be asked to hose down your boat before putting it away.
- Some parts of the site are marked out of bounds. Please respected these restrictions.
- We ask dog owners not to bring dogs on site.
- Cars must be parked in the main Aquadrome car park.
- Do not attend if you have coronavirus symptoms, if someone in your household is infected or if anyone in your household has been instructed to self-isolate.
- Social distancing, which we have all become used to, will be in operation throughout the site.
- You will be required to observe the government limitation on gatherings, which currently allow members of one family to meet with 5 other persons only using social distancing.
- To minimise the risk of virus transmission, and to comply with Government guidelines, the club house, galley, changing rooms and boat house are closed.