RYA DI Pre-Assessment
Level: Instructor | Age: Strictly 15 + | Time: 9:30 - 17:30 | Price: £85
Quick Course Information
Age: Strictly 15 +
Time: 9:30 - 17:30
Member's Price: £85
Typical Number on Course: N/A
Typical Instructor - Student Ratio: N/A
Please email firstname.lastname@example.org to inquire about when the assessment will next be running.
No Course Joining Instructions Available
Still got a question? Drop us an email at email@example.com and we would be happy to help!
The Pre-Assessment establishes that a candidate has suitable personal sailing skills to undertake the RYA dinghy instructor course. Evaluated by a coach assessor, the course will take place away from BLYM on a larger body of water so you must be prepared to travel to the venue. Certain manouevres must be demonstrated to an acceptable level for a pass to be awarded. An expansive knowledge and past experience of sailing is helpful and please note that this is not a training course, candidates are expected to be at the correct standard for immediate assessment from the time of arrival.
We strongly recommend that anyone considering enrolling for the Dinghy instructor pre-assessment speaks to a senior member of our team who will be happy to advise and help with preparation.
- Sail around a triangular course of 100m (minimum) legs to the best of their ability using all the boat’s normal equipment, including spinnaker if carried.
- Sail a tight circular course around a stationary boat, making only one tack and one gybe.
- Sail a ‘follow my leader’ course behind another boat. The course may include all points of sailing and may be behind another sailing dinghy or behind a powered boat.
- Pick up a man overboard dummy; the boat to be stopped and more than one attempt should not be needed.
- You may also be asked to complete the following: Rudderless Sailing, Lee shore landing and departure, Anchor or pickup a mooring, coming alongside a moored boat or capsize recovery.