Bury Lake Young Mariners (BLYM) is an award winning local youth charity (No. 1102162) and we are run entirely by over 300 volunteers at the picturesque Rickmansworth Aquadrome.
For more than 30 years, we have promoted the development of life skills in young people through the medium of sailing and related activities and we take over 6000 people onto the water each year.
We operate an all-inclusive club and welcome new members. Please see the Membership pages for details.
All of our sailing and powerboat courses are certified by the Royal Yachting Association (RYA) and are available to anyone from aged 9 upwards to adults. We also offer short fun sessions for 7-9 year olds.
Notice of re-opening BLYM Sailing Club
Dear BLYM member,
Social distancing presents a challenge to the provision of safety cover. We have decided to supply a Safety Boat for emergency purposes only. Those sailing need therefore to be competent to sail their boat safely in the conditions of the day and hold RYA Stage 3 (youth) or Level 2 (adult), or higher. We will have an officer on site at these times so that you will not be alone if you are at any point the only one on the water. Detailed arrangements are given below and must be complied with.
In the coming weeks we hope to develop safe procedures for the use of the BLYM fleet. This is complicated because of the need to clean boats between sessions so that we can be confident they do not present an infection risk. Please bear with us while we work on this challenge. We hope our procedures will be complete by the time that the Government move to Phase 2.
We are grateful to all our members for their patience during the period of closure, and for making sure that new operational arrangements are supported so we can begin to enjoy once again our wonderful club. To each and every one of you, I and the team say Thank You for your support, which means that BLYM will still be here when the virus has been overcome.
We can’t wait to see everyone back on the water in time.
With best regards
David Ridout, Chairman
- Do not attend if you have coronavirus symptoms (raised temperature, persistent cough, loss of smell and/or taste) or if someone in your household is infected.
- Cars must be parked in the main Aquadrome car park. Only those bringing in heavy equipment may drive into the park.
- Anyone under the age of 18 must be accompanied by someone over the age of 18.
- We ask that spectators are limited to those accompanying anyone under the age of 18.
- The lake is open for sailing of members’ own boats only, at your own risk. Please do not swap boats during the session unless between members of the same household. Members of the same family may sail in the same boat. Others must sail single-handed only.
- If you are sailing a single hander, please ensure you bring someone with you.
- BLYM buoyancy aids, wetsuits and waterproofs will not be available for the time being.
- 2m social distancing, which we have all become used to, will be in operation throughout the site except for members of the same household.
- Please observe the signage and directions of any club officer. You are required to observe the Government limitation on gatherings, which currently allow members of one family to meet with one other person only. Please therefore do no attend for a chat with multiple people or gather in groups.
- We ask dog owners not to bring dogs on site.
- To minimize the risk of virus transmission, and to comply with Government guidelines, the club house, galley, changing rooms and boat house are closed. Toilets accessible from outside the wet zone will be available and will be cleaned at the end of each day. Hand sanitizer will be provided.
- Please arrive changed and ready to go on the water. You will need to secure your sailing bag and belongings. You should bring your own water bottle or refreshments as the galley is closed. Drinking water to refill your water bottle can be obtained from outside taps.
- Due to the high risk in our older generation BLYM has had to make the decision along with the government’s guidelines that anyone over the age of 70 will not be able to enter the base at any time. We apologise to this age group, it is not personal, but necessary to comply with Government guidelines.
- For now, no new members, meaning you can’t call, buy a new membership and come straight away. Membership renewals, however, are acceptable. This will only work if we take small steps at a time and it is safe to do so.
These arrangements may be amended or revoked at any time if the Government change the guidance.
If you are unwilling to adhere to these detailed arrangements, please do not come.
We appreciate your cooperation, and we hope to extend these arrangements when safe to do so
Stay Alert, Control the Virus, Save Lives
You can help us raise funds for the building that will replace our existing clubhouse. Each and every donation helps, and every pound and penny raised will make a huge difference to our project.
The new building will include larger galley, training rooms, a reception area and a water sports equipment shop. There are many ways you can help raise money; you can buy a brick that will be embossed with your personal message and displayed in the new clubhouse building to allow future generations to recognise the contributions of members past and present, you can sponsor items in the fit out (when the equipment is in place we will name your item), you can use LocalGiving to make a donation or you can use easyfundraising and we can collect free donations every time you buy something online (it won't cost you a penny extra to help us raise funds) and you could even enjoy a personal challenge.
What is the difference between Gift Aid and a Donation?
If you are a tax payer then Gift Aid means charities like BLYM get an extra 25p for every £1 donated. Gift Aid is a scheme which allows charities to claim from HMRC, the basic rate of tax their donors have paid. Gift Aid increases the value of donations by 25%, so it means even more money goes to the cause you care about – and it won’t cost you extra.
If you are a tax payer please include Gift Aid in the Payment Reference. If you are not a tax payer please include Donation in the Payment Reference.