RYA Assistant Instructor
Level: Instructor | Age: 14 + | Typical Time: 9:30 - 17:00 | Average Member's Price: £65.00
Quick Course Information
Age: 14 +
Typical Time: 9:30 - 17:00
Minimum Course Duration: 3 Days
Apologies, Members Only
Average Member's Price: £65.00
Typical Number on Course: 6
Instructor to Student Ratio: 1:6
The instructors were knowledgeable and helpful:
The programme was well structured and met my needs:
You must also be a full member of the club to book onto this course. Please see the membership pages for how to join as a full member.
Download Course Joining Instructions
Still got a question? Drop us an email at email@example.com and we would be happy to help!
Temporary Members are not entitled to membership discounts.
Survey results taken from automated participant surveys.
The first step onto the RYA instructor training scheme, this course allows members to teach sailing to beginners at BLYM under supervision. Please note that the AI qualification is only valid at the centre where it was awarded as it is partly club specific, this means that a course completed here is not transferable to other sailing establishments. This four day course is highly recommended for group leaders or those who help with school groups as it enables them to pass on information in the RYA approved manner. This is also an important step for those who are perhaps not ready, or old enough, to undertake a full dinghy instructor course.
The course covers the RYA dinghy sailing syllabus and how it is taught whilst working to improve confidence and presentation skills. A passion for sailing and enthusiasm are both important elements for succeeding on this course and we strongly urge those who are considering instructor training to speak to a senior member of our team beforehand.
The prerequisite necessary for this course is:
- The attainment of at least one of the advanced modules.
- Minimum age is 14 years.
- Written recommendation for the course from either the Principal or the Chief Instructor. Please get in touch with firstname.lastname@example.org to discuss the course first, we will happily talk through the expectations and help obtain the recommendation.
- Skills needed to deliver the RYA Dinghy Teaching Method.
- Specific training relevant to teaching at BLYM.
Ability After Course
- If successful, the candidate will be able to deliver sessions to beginners through joining BLYM's Instructor Team.
RYA Recognition Information
This RYA course is held under the Bury Lake Young Mariners Recognised Training Centre at our base at the Rickmansworth Aquadrome. The maximum Instructor to Student Ratio is: 1:6 and the minimum duration for the course is 3 Days. The following material is provided to you as part of your course:
- National Sailing Scheme Instructor Handbook (G14)
- Certificate if required standard is met
Where Do I Go Next?
Once you have completed this course, we would recommend you try these ones:
Apologies, there are no dates currently available - we can notify you when dates are published if you fill in your details below.